2010-05-11

BOD: Bytes On Disk

My introduction to computer forensics was of the sink-or-swim variety, a 4 day training class followed by a rough tasking of "hey, kid, here are some EnScripts, make 'em better."

It didn't take me long, though, to figure out one of the primary rules of computer forensics. It is thus:

Always refer to the bytes on disk.

I'll admit I've never had to image a disk for a real case, and I never could get interested in imaging and its arcana. I've seen enough of it to know that it's harder than it sounds, often due to Murphy's Law, and there's no substitute for experience when you encounter an old drive on an old system. But, to me, my rule above feels more fundamental.

I am all for push-button forensics. Rote tasks should be automated, and expertise should be modeled in code. The results of automation are all for naught, though, if they do not refer to the relevant bytes on disk. It's a variation of citing your sources in a paper; if you can't refer back to the bytes on disk from which your results stem, it's awfully hard to verify them.

The Sausage Factory illustrated this rule rather neatly today. There was a simple bug in the script that reads results from C4P back into EnCase. It was easy to resolve, though, because the results referred back to the relevant bytes on disk. It's to Trevor's credit that he includes this information in the results. If he didn't, the fix wouldn't be so simple.

Always, always, always refer back to the Bytes On Disk.

No comments:

Post a Comment